Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Day I Saw Myself in the Eyes of Democracy

Ma gidart anam...gemt ilsa3a 7 o ne6art ommy teg3ad min ilnoom. Wesalna ilmadresa..7asait butterflies in my stomach, the second I walked into that room, I felt it was a dream, I don't remember how many people were there, what they looked like, what the room looked like, I just remember a feeling...a feeling I can't even describe, I had to read the ballot twice to identify the names. I did it...

Ladies: We did it! Although disappointed with the 35% female voter turnout (amongst election results) it made me appreciate the ladies that I met in line, the older woman who was rambling out loud "Walla ana maly ib hal sowalif bs bassawet 3alashan 3yaaly!" and the women cheering her, the young ladies that I worked with until the polls closed, and my girl friends who knew nothing about elections and couldn't give a damn about politics, yet exercised their right in the blazing heat, and finally my mother, who's participation not only mattered to Kuwait but it meant a lot to me :)

18 seats for the Islamists... and we lost Al Nebari o Al Haroun, the most important men in Kuwaiti politics are now gone. Basil Al Rashid down by 23 votes, shay ebachy. This country won't know what's good for it if it hit them straight in the face. Magool illa hal netayej are a reflection of our ignorant society.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chic Politika said...

Well Shopa, the country needs more people like us ;)

Hope you keep reading. Welcome to my blog.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home