Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Devil Wears Prada



For those of you who don't know me, I don't read fiction. I mainly read non-fiction books on current affairs etc. But a couple of years ago after I decided to read Candace Bushnell's original book Sex and the City, I started getting into fun, hip, fiction books that are always an easy read, I found they helped me get my mind off personal problems, world problems and work! I mean having Al Arabiya and BBC World on all day at home, as well as reading the newspapers everyday is more than enough. Although it is of my greatest interests and is a priority, sometimes you just need a break from this save the world crap!! So as I was shopping one last time at Barnes & Noble, stocking up on books before moving back to Kuwait, I came accross a best seller called The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger, a book about a girl fresh out of college working as an assistant to the most powerful woman in NYC, fashion magazine editor Miranda Priestly. It has been suggested that in this book, Weisberger was dishing about her days working for Vogue editor Anna Wintour. This book is witty, funny, trendy, and a must read for all you fellow fashion junkie, I heart NY ladies out there (and gentlemen with a flavor for style).

Now the best part is ... it was made into a movie!! OK so I have been soooo out of the loop but I just read an article in the Herald Trib. that renowned stylist and former costume designer for the gals on the set of Sex and the City Patricia Field has been working on the costume design for the Meryl Streep's upcoming movie The Devil Wears Prada. It'll be out in U.S movie theatres June 30th, check out the trailer http://www.devilwearspradamovie.com/

And if Patricia Field is taking care of the characters on the set of TDWP then it's definately worth checking out. She has without a doubt created a style icon of SJP in Sex and the City, stepping outside the box in terms of style innovation.

Field's entire fashion life might have been a preparation for the eclectic and whimsical Carrie Bradshaw character in "Sex and the City." Field created mad mixes of vintage and contemporary, of shorts, ladylike coats and romantic dresses. She also whipped up a passion for accessories, from chain identity necklaces through horse-head bags and Manolo Blahnik shoes.
"'Sex and the City' changed the way women dress," Field says. "I helped to empower women." (www.iht.com)

You sure did Pat, can't wait to see you work your magic again.




3 Comments:

Blogger Q8Sultana said...

cool, this book looks good. I'll check it out the next time Im in a bookshop :o)

Thanks for the suggestion :o)

3:58 AM  
Blogger Chic Politika said...

Welcome to my blog.

You should check out the movie as well right after u read the book :)

1:54 PM  
Blogger Q8Sultana said...

hello,

just finished the book, it was really a fun weekend read.

The movie wont be out in this part of the world until October though. I watched the preview of the movie and I don't like how the characters look different and the boyfriend even has a differetn name. oh well, that always happens in movie adaptations

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home