Saturday, June 24, 2006

2 Kool 4 Skool

Definately not a relaxing weekend..but most definately fruitful.

Wednesday: Bring 'em On
A lady in our district invited one of the liberal candidates to her residence for an open discussion with her family and friends. I'm so sick of candidates bashing others, the government and the system!! OK! Fahamna! O ba3dain? Wel 7al?? Hardly any candidate proposes a solution in his agenda (I say his because most female candidates have proposed their agendas). Te3alemaw min the West!! The candidate gets out there with his issues, expresses where he stands on those issues and proposes studied solutions. Anyway...it was an interesting discussion because we got a chance to speak about real issues that can actually be improved, impose new laws, create awareness, such as gender discrimination in the workforce, signing on to environmental treaties, etc. Bs 6ab3an ppl think they're so smart when they ask "ilmostashfa ilflaniya waskha! o ildiktor sawa 3amaliya mo naj7a o kan byethba7 ilmareetha.." Ok I'm sorry for your friend and I'm absolutely repulsed by such terrible facts about our sorry excuse for a system..bs please know who to blame for this, wain wizarat ilsa7a? mafee medical board that monitors these cases?? Know what your MP is capable of, understand their capacity so that you and him/her can acheive better results on your issues.

Thursday: Playing Instructor
A friend of mine and a colleague is a volunteer in INJAZ Kuwait: Junior Achievement who were preparing for the INJAZ Kuwait competition held on Friday between all participating schools. Although I'm not blessed with a business mind, I am an advocate of raising the youth to become more powerful leaders, and I think our obsolete education system lacks key principles in preparing our children for the real world. Anyway, this friend's class, a boys government school who are so hard working but lack organization and public speaking skills. So I told him to bring them on to the office to have our trainer give them a workshop on public speaking, we alternated between me and him, since he's American and they're english is less than perfect. They were rusty at first, had no skills whatsoever in terms of presentations, creativity, confidence, etc. By the 6th hour of the workshop we had addressed all their issues, and all they had to do was practice. Mashalla 3alaihom, even after a 6 hour workshop they were still motivated to work more! They ended up practicing til 4 am!!

Friday: Day of the competition
Thought it would be my day off, but had to go see my kids present, and I promised them I'd wear their T-shirt. So I got there, went around the booths and spoke to the students; there was a powerful feeling of motivation, enthusiasm and determination in those highschoolers' eyes and voices. 6ab3an the American school kids were the only ones in formal gear, gave one hell of a powerful presentation, polite, and confident. This is what the American system teaches you: M.U.N, summers abroad, debate classes and more. In my eyes, they were all winners, they all worked hard, overcame fears and obstacles, and somewhere along the way found themselves.

As I was sitting looking at them interacting, I had the urge to tell them to enjoy their time together, to cherish these friendships they have built along these years, because sooner than they know it they will be seperated and look back at the most beautiful memories they took for granted.

That was my weekend folks, stay tuned for an eventful week ahead...and maybe, just maybe by next week..I'll be doing something for fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home