Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Madness

This is madness!! My job, my 2nd job, my friends (who I never see anymore), my family (who I never see period!), elections...and shopping!! Channel E! I've been so out of the fashion/celebrity loop the past week...It all started when...................

A group of determined young Kuwaitis decided to speak out about the political situation,
The government didn't have the balls to deal with it so they dissolved the Parliament,
Thinking that would shut the OrangieZ down,
It's only making them work harder.

A very well known organization and a group of experts and consultants on female participation in elections were creating a program in Kuwait for what was thought as 2007 elections, but given the retarded decision that has been made, they're having to move fast in implementing the program and need some local help...yes, I'm the local help. As a local consultant I have to fulfill 4 hours at their office, or just get as much work done as needed for them in research, coordination and consultation.

I have been asked to help out in 2 campaigns for the female committees, said I will try my best, and I definately want to help out as much as I can but I would like to dedicate my precious time to my constituency and of course my obligation as a female cadidate consultant. 2 of my fave candidates are running in my constituency, and one of my girlfriends (a neighbor too) decided that we see if we can help them out (as they are the only 2 in the constituency who reflect our views), so we'll see about that.

I had a hectic day yesterday but I had a little talk with the American senior consultant (who is a big shot in DC, worked as Hilary Clinton's campaign consultant) who made my day by saying "all eyes are on Kuwait. With the evolution of the political situation in your country, and the strong voice of your youth groups...there isn't a better time to be you."

I left their office (or shall I say my temporary one) at 8, had to pass by a friend who had had an operation, got back home at 10 and hit the sac!

The past 3 years in Kuwait have been filled with career disappointments, after being perceived as the "Kuwaiti girl who is going places" in college, I became the Kuwaiti girl who was denied such places, for many reasons: gender discrimination, failure to appreciate a graduate degree, and lack of appreciation for previous experience from different countries. New blood, blah! Ambition, blah! Who cares? Of course such institutions wouldn't notice a good thing even if it hit them right in the face. I came to terms that in Kuwait, I can't make a career out of the things I am passionate about, and although I am not where I thought I would be, I can try and try to make the best out of my existence in this world.

A little over a year ago, I wanted to leave, applied for a couple of jobs in DC and NYC and was stressing about how I was going to make the transition and the announcement to my parents. They knew it, they knew how stressed and depressed I was, an active girl being brushed off because of her gender and age and lack of faith in this society, lead to a passive, depressed girl who remained at the age of 24 a dreamer. They booked me a trip to NYC, they knew how much I missed my independence, and I took their offer. I had a blast, but faced a dilemma: all my friends in the City had moved on to bigger and better things and I realized I don't live there anymore. There was a huge essence of familiarity but little sense of belonging. I returned to Kuwait only to be taken by the women's rights movement...and that's when I dived right back into action.

I have to admit with all the stress, pressure and fatigue that comes from this madness, I sleep at night knowing that I am accomplishing something...and whether I get rewarded or not... well... that's for me to decide.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

take comfort in knowing that almost everyone who spends a good few years outside kuwait goes thru what you were going thru.

its almost like an early midlife crisis.

i've been back for 5 years and i'm only now just getting comfortable and loving what i do.

have faith in karma :P and the pay off will come :D

5:52 PM  
Blogger Chic Politika said...

skunk!

Sorry for taking too long to comment but as I've been saying I've been swamped! I feel like I've been sentenced to eternal damnation!

It is comforting to know that I'm not the only one in this country who has experienced these issues. Thanks for sharing :)

...and welcome to my blog

2:04 PM  
Blogger Jewaira said...

I love your enthusiasm :)

2:19 AM  
Blogger Chic Politika said...

Thanx Jewaira :)

...and welcome to my blog

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home