Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Shopping Trends


I love shopping in Soho in NYC or on Robertson in LA... the freedom of hopping from one store to the next experiencing a variety of decors retail categories and items, passing by strangers running errands or on their way back home after a hard day's work makes outdoor shopping trips like these so special. But shopping in a mall is kind of a one-stop shop, vanilla latte, air conditioned trip, it's gotta be a favorite among Kuwaiti chicks.

So, when I was asked this question by a friend of mine last night: "Would you rather shop in a mall or a free standing boutique?" I immediately answered, thinking I was probably the only Kuwaiti girl to say that, but was surprised when told that many other girls in Kuwait prefer to shop outside a mall cuz it gives them the freedom to go as casual and whenever they want, as opposed to having to look at your absolute best walking into Al Salhiya or Al Raya. But in Kuwait, we don't have that King's Road, Melrose, or Avenue Montagne atmosphere where everything is conveniently located in a block or along a strip.

What do you think? Mall or free standing shop?

8 Comments:

Blogger MiYaFuSHi said...

I prefer a nice little street with boutique, so I can stroll and get some fresh air, and not cause of the dressing up thing, which I think is just silly!

12:50 PM  
Blogger Chic Politika said...

miyafushi

Agree with u 100%. Wish the air in Kuwait was fresh though, that I think would also help.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I personally don't mind either one, of course it all depends on the weather and cleanliness. ana aham shay 3inde is that they have what I'm looking for in terms of items or products.

However, I used to enjoy going to those open malls (I think tha's what they are called) For example, Century Mall in LA, Fashion Island in Newport Beach and Fashion Valley in San Diego. Now those have a bit of both, "Mall and free standing shops" :)

3:34 PM  
Blogger Peony said...

Free standing shops, it's more fun & faster.. how many times have you went to the mall and the shop that you want is at the very end? yeah.. i'm lazy.. i know ';p

5:34 PM  
Blogger Chic Politika said...

howakhan

Totally! Century City captures both. Malls can be fun if ur spending a free day walking, shopping eating etc. and there's no better place to do it than in an "open mall" 3ala goltik.

Shopa

U got it! Wish we could get through to some ppl about "dressing for the occasion."

peony

Welcome to my blog daahling. Hehe especially when ur in a rush and just wanna buy something and leave.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Sevy said...

I don't really know. I think it depends on the weather. I love to stroll down the street during the summer. Nice blog by the way!

6:30 PM  
Blogger Chic Politika said...

Lilly,

Welcome to my blog babe! You're right, weather plays a huge role. Thanks, I think yours is cool too but difficult to understand ;) I like Justin's new album as well!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Sevy said...

Yeah I know. :P It's because I write mostly in Swedish but I'll try to write more in English!

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home