Monday, October 16, 2006

Ya zaman alwassl fil Andalosi









Al Hambra
I've been to ancient castles before, but this was the first time I felt something upon entering and exploring Al Hambra. I know this is going to sound so twilight zone of me, but upon my entrance I felt a hint of familiarity, perhaps it was the Arabic inscriptions on the wall, the poetry and God's familiar name, or perhaps it was the guide's constant reference to Islam and the Crusades, wars between the East and West, Christian and Islam, "Wa La Ghalib illa Allah" and now thousands of years later we hear the same references. Our ancestors used it as beautiful art and current Islamists use it on swords. I know there have been many bloody battles in Islamic history, but even with the battles we had managed to build an empire of civilization.
All I know, is that it was the first time in a long long time that I felt proud of being an Arab... what a civilization we let slip away.
Most of Al Hambra has been restored, just like any ancient castle, cathedral or monument. So my favorite picture is the 3rd one, it's an original paint stained glass ceiling that has not been restored! Imagine, beautiful stained glass surviving the grueling sun of southern Spain for thousands of years. "Wa La Ghalib illa Allah."

4 Comments:

Blogger Baroque said...

okay so if u liked the place, u have to read the book "tales of al hambra" by i think george irving?

madree, bs its amazing.. talks about the castle, some myths, the story of the guy who let it go..

i've been to it, it was an enchanting experience, but didn't u feel sad, we (arabs) let it slip from our hands...

makes u think how low we have gotten ourselves into..

8:12 PM  
Blogger Chic Politika said...

I would love to read that book! Especially to compare the very well informed Japanese tour guide's information with the author's. Thanks for the recommendation :*

After the tour was over and I stepped back to reality, I did feel sad and most of all disappointed :(

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"let it slip from our hand"...sad but true :(

It's quite sad to think how the Arab civilization,which was recognized as the civilization that created math and science, is now acknowledged as the civilization of creating suicide bombers

12:24 AM  
Blogger DiiGMaa said...

one of my fav spot in the world..
breath-taking ha ?

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home